Friday, June 1, 2007

Delirious

If I really had to say, so far this "mothering experience" has not gone exactly like I might have imagined. I thought basically she would eat, sleep, get dirty diapers, and occassionally she would be fussy, and I would have to console her.

But what do you do when you can't console them? What do you do when they cry and cry--stop briefly to catch a breath, then cry and cry for a few hours? I have no idea either! Which is exactly why I have had days where I would rather pull all my hair out!

Abby was 3 weeks old yesterday, and we've already been to the Dr. 3 times. The first time being just a check-up, but then the next 2--Josh and I trying to figure out why she doesn't stop crying. I keep thinking, maybe since I'm a "new" mom, this really IS how babies are. You would also assume that once a baby ate, that would put them at ease. Not for my baby! She even cries after she eats for about an hour. We thought at one time, she wasn't getting enough, so we fed her a bit more to which she spit it up--which tells me it's too much. However, about 45min. before a feeding, she's already crying like she's starving to death. It's the hardest thing ever to figure out. She definitely has gas issues, and she pushes so hard her whole body turns red! We're now on our 3rd formula to see if that will help with all her tummy issues. The Dr. pretty much thinks it's colic, but thought this new formula might help. She's had a few four hour stretches of sleep, but usually it's about an hour at a time, and then she's waking up again. We just started her on the new formula last night, so I PRAY it begins to help us.

We have found a few things that will console her. When I take a shower, I put the bouncer in the bathroom with me, and she falls asleep pretty quickly at the sound of the running water. I've even tried this at 4:45am, and she fell asleep then, too. (No, I didn't actually take a shower at that time...just let the water run for about 5min.) Also, the bouncer on top of the dryer works well, too. She slept there for about an hour last night.

3 comments:

The Pences said...

Joanna had major gas issues, too. It is sooo sad to watch them having so much trouble! It will (really and truly) get better, but I know the time until it does sure isn't fun.

The Vranas said...

I cannot even fathom what you guys are going through. I'm praying she gets over it quickly. You must be walking zombies! On the plus side, she is so SUPER precious. I guess it's easier to say that when I've only seen her through a picture which is without sound. I hope it gets better soon.

The Pences said...

We enjoyed seeing you grown-up Beasleys yesterday, and look forward to seeing Abby when she makes her public debut!