Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Me

That's the loving name Abby uses to refer to her pacifiers. How, why, what the heck? I really have no idea, but she has called them that since she could talk.

She has been so interesting about her "me's" lately. We have only been using a paci for naps and night-night time and often the car. In between, it's not allowed. Ok, ok, I'll cave in the evening sometimes, especially if she's super sleepy. But the majority of the time she really doesn't have one, but we didn't plan to officially break her of it until we took our big trip to Disney World. (I mean she'll have her first big plane ride, sleeping in an unknown place, that sorta thing...I didn't feel right snatching it before then.)

The past few times for naps, she has started crying before I even lay her down, like trying to prolong the inevitable (even though that totally doesn't work with me!). I asked her if she wanted her "me," and she said, NO! What? Ok, then. I put her to bed, she cries for like 2 minutes, if that, and she's out. Same with night-night. We offer, she says, NO! and off to bed she goes. She's done this for about the last 4 days. It's been all fine and good, but usually around 6am she might roll over, and typically with the "me" she'll find it, and that can get her back to sleep until about 7:15-7:30am or so. The other morning she was wide-awake at 6:30am.

So, being the smart parents we are, before we go to bed, we place a paci right by her so she'll have one if it's needed. Yes, that's right...we are pushing the pacifier use on our child, ha! But let me tell you, once this trip is over, we're laying down the law. Wish us luck :)

3 comments:

Lori said...

Good luck with that! Kainaan never took to a pacifier, he's stuck on his thumb. I don't know how he will ever go without it?? The only good thing I cling to, is he really only sucks his thumb when he's sleepy and has his blanket in hand. Yep, he's Linus made over!
Take Care!
-Lori

Paul and Candice said...

That sounds so much like something I'd do that it's not even funny! Sounds like she'll be easy to break though...but it will be nice for the plane ride for sure in case her ears hurt.

Zach and Alyson said...

I hope that separating Abby from her "me" is not too terrible. Gradually and definitely not before Disney... sounds like the best solution. Hope all is well!