In Sunday school this past weekend we watched the Nooma video "Dust." Rob Bell, who is the pastor of Mars Hill Bible church, is the creater of these. They are short videos (15-20 minutes), with usually pretty profound meanings. I used to think they were just really odd, but lately, he's so interesting to me! I love how he tells the story. This one on Sunday (which I've seen 3 different times) really struck me, and I just had to share it. If you've never seen any of these videos, you can YouTube him...these videos are out there.
I don't know if anyone has seen this particular one (I know some of my friends have), but it's this thought of having to be "the best of the best" and consistently not believing in ourselves. "But besides just that, knowing and believing in God is important, but what about God believing in us? Believing that we can actually be the kind of people we were meant to be. People of love, compassion, peace, forgiveness, and hope. People who try to do the right things all the time. It's easy to get down on ourselves, or to feel like we "don't have what it takes."
I will never read Matthew 14:28-31 the same again: I LOVE the way Rob Bell describes this. Peter sees his Rabbi walking on water, and what's the first thing he wants to do? He wants to walk on water too..to be just like his Rabbi. So, Peter gets out of the boat and starts walking on the water, but starts to sink...and he yells out, "Jesus! Save me!" And Jesus catches him and says, "You of little faith. Why did you doubt?" I'm completely with Rob Bell on this, I always assumed Peter was doubting Jesus, but I LOVE this....Jesus isn't the one sinking! Peter is..Peter doubts himself! He loses faith in himself that he can actually be like his Rabbi. I mean, good gosh...don't ya'll feel like that sometimes? Peter took his eye off of Jesus, looked around at the winds and the storm brewing, and thought, "How can I do this?" But that's the whole point! We can't do it by ourselves.
Has anyone ever thought of this particular story that way?
Monday, March 9, 2009
Nooma
Posted by
The Beasley's
at
12:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Have you seen the one where the lady gets pasted by a dump truck?
So, I've always thought of the story that way, that Peter was doubting himself. I don't know why. I actually hadn't even thought of it the other way. I think that's normal though. I always see things the opposite of most people. :-P
Post a Comment